Happy Star Wars Day to all you other SW fans!
For the record, I don’t consider myself a nerd. However, if I was going to be a nerd, I would be a Star Wars nerd. While I don’t bother memorizing the make and model of every ship, cataloging the vast number of species that inhabit the SW galaxy, or that sort of thing, I grew up on SW. It is part of my personal culture.
I was too little to understand the story when A New Hope came out. My mom took us to the drive-in to see it. I remember flopping around on her lap, a little bored and tired, asking repeatedly when the princess was going to come back. I wanted to see the princess, dammit. When it came out on video, the boy next door got a copy. He came over to watch it. And then my brother borrowed it. We watched that movie every day, sometimes three times a day, for god knows how long. Long enough for it to seep into my soul. Somewhere between then and now, I became a die-hard SW fan.
My Star Wars Nerd Qualifications:
- I have an original Chewbaca figure (um, somewhere) and a not-so-original Chewbaca on the shelf in my living room.
- People get me Star Wars cards for my birthday.
- I have a bumper sticker. Eep.
- One of the first piano songs I learned to play was the SW theme. I own the book with the whole soundtrack.
- I’ve been Return-of-the-Jedi Princess Leia for Halloween.
- Yes, I’ve played the RPG.
There’s considerably more, but I’m not telling you. I may be overly qualified as a SW nerd. Anyway, happy SW Day. May the Fourth be with you! Always!